Friday, May 25, 2012

Pears and Berries

Most often, I prefer a savory salad - garden salad with loads of veggies, or a chicken caesar, etc.  Some days, however, it's all about the sweet.  One of my favorite combinations is pears, pecans, and berries with a vinaigrette.  After a recent Costco trip, I found myself practically wallowing in pears and berries and spring salad mix.  I was, however, sadly out of my favorite Huckleberry Vinaigrette that my thoughtful mother brought back to me from her trip to Montana (I'd been rationing it very, very slowly.).  So I decided to try my hand at a vinaigrette that would have a similar impact on such a salad.  After a brief search online, here's what got whipped together:

1 part honey
2 parts balsamic vinegar
3 parts olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the honey and balsamic vinegar until combined, add salt and pepper.  While whisking, add the olive oil.  Pour over your salad.  Store in the refrigerator.



For the salad itself, I layered blackberries and raspberries on a bed of mixed spring salad greens, along with cubed fresh pear and chopped raw pecans.  I also threw in some jack cheese for added protein, although a more savory cheese, such as gorgonzola or feta would also be delicious and a good counterbalance to all the sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment